Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Somebody's Spinning



I remember watching sometime before the war an exchange between Janeane Garofalo and Bill O'Reilly wherein O'Reilly ridiculed Garofalo for her reservations about a war that could kill many civilians. Here is just a snippet of that transcript:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03/08/2003
Bill O'Reilly questioned actor/activist Janeane Garofalo;

BILL O'REILLY: "If you are wrong, all right, and if the United States, and they will, this is going to happen, goes in, liberates Iraq, people in the street, American flags, hugging our soldiers, all right, we find all kinds of bad, bad stuff, all right, in Iraq, you gonna apologize to George W. Bush?"

JEANINE GAROFALO: "I'll bring roses right to his front door. I will bring a fruitcake and roses. I would be so willing to say I'm sorry, I hope to God that I can be made a buffoon of, that people will say, 'you were wrong, you were a fatalist,' and I will go to the White House on my knees on cut glass and say, 'Hey, you were right, I shouldn't have doubted you.' But I think that is preposterous. The flip side of the coin is, will he, and for that matter, will you offer me the same courtesy if I'm right? If we're treated as invaders instead of liberators, will you invite me back to your show and apologize in front of your viewers?"

BILL O'REILLY: "Absolutely. But I hate to disappoint ya,' it ain't gonna turn out that way."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently when O'Reilly said "it aint gonna turn out that way," he meant that he wasn't going to invite her back to the show. He probably said it very loudly, with finality. . .and an impressive amount of conviction. . .

I can't find the video on
either Youtube or on the O'Reilly factor homepage, but I remember watching it. If anyone knows where the video can be found on the web feel free to let me know.
Some more details about Bill O'Reilly's shameful conduct can be found here.
Does this mean that Bill O'Reilly can't make fun of socially conscious film stars anymore?

No comments: