Sunday, July 1, 2007

Iowa: Part 1 of a 6 part series


Have you ever had a little free time, so you start perusing the bookshelves of whatever home you happen to be in? And then you find a slender, glossy little book that looks kind of interesting so you start reading through it? And then it’s so interesting and slender that you read through the entire thing in one sitting?

It’s happened to me three times: once Vonnegut’s God Bless You Dr. Kevorkian, once with Neil Gaiman’s Coraline (which probably shouldn't count because it’s more of a kids book) and once, last night, with a book called Iowa Trivia.

Iowa Trivia is a fascinating little book that's split into six trivial pursuit-like sections: Geography, Entertainment, History, Arts and Literature, Sports and Leisure, Science and Nature.

What did I learn while tearing through these sections?

I’m glad you asked. I thought I’d share some of the more interesting things I learned in the next couple of posts.

I tried to filter out the stuff that everyone knows, but sometimes it’s hard to know what “everyone” knows, so I apologize in advance for my discretionary errors. I also tried to filter out the stuff that was incredibly lame or obscure (do I really care about some woman from Algona who was casting director for a television series that I’ve never even heard of?) What’s left, I hope, is kind of interesting.

Enjoy!

What I learned about Iowa Geography:

1. Original name of Des Moines?

Fort Raccoon

What a shame we missed out on the euphonious alliteration that could have been the Fort Raccoon Register.

2. Five largest natural lakes in Iowa?

I had difficulties with this one until I realized that it was all towns that had the word lake in them. Then it was easy.

1.East Okoboji Lake

2.West Okoboji Lake

3.Clear Lake

4.Spirit Lake

5.Storm Lake.

Note: the largest body of water, however is Rathbun Dam and Reservoir, located mostly in Appanoose County in southern Iowa.

3. Largest county geographically?

Kossuth

Note: the smallest and youngest county, and the one with the highest point of altitude, is Osceola, which was organized in 1871.

4. Newest (and newest age) town?

Vedic City, incorporated in 2001.

If my memory serves me right, Jefferson County (Vedic City, Fairfield) was the only county that had more percentage of delegates for Kucinich in 2004 than Poweshiek (Grinnell) and Johnson (Iowa City).

Yep. It sure was. Here is a link to the county by county results, where a whopping 29.1% of Jefferson delegates went to Kucinich. Johnson and Poweshiek were next, both giving a measly 7.3%

5. Des Moines population compared to other cities in the nation?

95th (2000 census). It slipped from 81st in 1990 due to acute and irreversible brain drainage.

6. Oldest city?

Dubuque. My grandparents live there so this has always intuitively made sense to me.

7. Only basilica (St. Francis of Xavier) in the U.S. outside of a major metropolitan area?

Dyersville.

This fact, combined with the Field of Dreams and a certain national farm toy museum, gets Dyersville my vote for the coolest town in Iowa. Is it any wonder they were chosen as a night stop in this year’s RAGBRAI route?

8. Of the 12 national cemeteries that were dedicated at the same time as Arlington. Which one of them is in Iowa?

Keokuk National Cemetery.

9. Iowa has more mile of roads than how many other states?

Forty. Meaning we are in the top ten. I think that’s one of the reasons RAGBRAI is so successful.

10. Only cities to have their government buildings on an island in the center of the city?

Cedar Rapids and Paris, France.

This fact seems a bit dubious but I’ll take it. Bonus fact: Only town built on an island? Sabula (in the Mississippi and a really cool ending spot for RAGBRAI).

11. Town named after the first letters of the surnames of the eight most prominent citizens?

Primghar.

I probably wouldn’t have included this, but my good friend’s wife is from Primghar. Plus, Mr. P, R, M, G, H, A, and R (all faithful readers!) will be pleased.

Note: Primghar is also the county seat with the smallest population (891).

12. First public high school in Iowa?

Tipton

Hi Emily.

13. The longest and highest bridge crosses what body of water?

Red Rock Lake (Marion County by Pella and Knoxville).

14. Largest Danish settlement in the United States!?

Elk Horn.

I knew there was a long history of Danes there, but largest in the U.S.?

15. Childhood home of Wyatt Earp, before he moved West and became a famous sheriff and professional killer?

Pella

Note: It is also the childhood home of guitarist Dave Keuning. . . before he moved west and became a famous guitarist and professional Killer.

16. Land mass compared to other states?

25th. Even steven.

17. Name of the nationally designated trail that runs from Cedar Rapids to Waterloo?

Cedar Valley trail.

18. Only county with two county seats?

Lee. (Fort Madison and Keokuk). Henceforth, I will call Lee County "the two headed monster."

1 comment:

emilysal said...

you are my favorite iowa historian.
ily
let's move to fort raccoon