Tuesday, October 2, 2007

GOBAMA !



I just saw Obama a couple of hours ago and left feeling very reassured about my decision to support him. I had gone to see Richardson a couple weeks ago and he dropped from my radar after kind of acting like a cromagnon jerk. So I was afraid that maybe Obama would do or say something that would rub me the wrong way. My fears were unwarranted.

In fact, I couldn't have asked for more out of Obama tonight. He was exactly the same kind of authentic, articulate, and likable person that he comes off as on TV. Plus, he's a serious liberal and has a knack for getting all sorts of people to vote for him. After the 2004 elections, I thought long and hard about supporting a candidate (Kerry) whose liberal credentials were impeccable but who was kind of an arrogant asshole. I feel so much stronger about my support for Obama.

After great introductions by key Democrat Dick Myers and former political speechwriter for JFK Ted Sorenson, Obama began his stump speech, emphasizing his resistance to the war in Iraq back before it began.

He only read a little bit of the incredible speech, but the full text is really good and it can be found here for those that are interested.

He then spoke a bit about his domestic experience, his passion for change, his biography, his international experience, his willingness to negotiate, his desire to be a leader in nuclear disarmament (a question I asked Richardson that he didn't answer), his skill at fundraising without the help of PACS, and most importantly, his eagerness to be a public servant.

The energy in the air was electric and the response from the crowd was amazing. Not surprising from a guy that won a Grammy for his spoken word album.

A Grammy. He's going to make one hell of a President.


Highlights of the evening:

1. The adorable little girl sitting on her father's shoulders who would wave her barbie doll whenever people clapped.

2. The twister swirling around outside that didn't hit the hotel.

3. All the young people in the audience who look like they might be attending their first caucus.

No comments: