Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Dart League Week 10 vs. Team Hard Tips


Score after round 1:
Club Car 14, Hard Tips 2

Score after round 2:
Club Car 26, Hard Tips 8

Score after round 3:
Club Car 35, Hard Tips 8

People play darts for many reasons. Some play for the feeling you get when, after having landed that final dart in the center of the bull, the machine begins to flash and beep, advertising your victory and superiority to all the alcoholics in attendance. Others play for the camaraderie or the exercise. Not a few times have I seen a serious dartist thrown of track because he forgot to wear his headband.

Me? I play darts for the fans. For the feeling I get when I hear the roar of the crowd as pound my opponent on triple 20's. Nothing, and I mean nothing can match that feeling.

That's why tonight's game was such a treat for me. As it turns out, my girlfriend's best friend was in town interviewing for the physician's assistant program here at Iowa. The two of them, looking for something fun (inspirational?) to do, came to watch Team Club Car in action. For someone like me, who feeds off of the energy of the crowd night in and night out, this was a huge boon. Though I'm used to playing in front of people, the addition of Emily and her friend more than doubled the amount of spectators we typically have at our games. You could hardly hear yourself think. It was absolute madness.

But that's really what it's all about isn't it. . . the fans. Monday night warriors aren't just playing to buff their egos or score a free beer; we're playing to make someone's life better. Sure, I like it when I do well. I'd be lying if I said it doesn't feel good. But it feels a hell of a lot better when I look up and see those teary-eyed faces after a major victory. I don't want to lose sight of the fact that a lot of people's happiness depends on me winning games. And if that means that by throwing a couple of silly projectiles at a flashing board the world can be made a better place. . . so be it.

I'm just going to keep throwing darts.

*This post is dedicated to all the people in the world who draw inspiration from the awesome dart throwers that they idolize.

No comments: