Thursday, January 24, 2008

Stella: What I'm Currently Pushing

Those of you who talk to me with any kind of frequency have probably listened to me rave about the television show Stella, which was pulled after one season on Comedy Central.

Two days ago I received my very own copy of Stella in the mail. It was a very thoughtful and generous Christmas present given to me, Nick Gregory, by me, Nick Gregory. It was long overdue.

If you are unfamiliar with the show, allow me explain. Three men-- Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter, and David Wain -- put on suits and ties and do nonsensical things during the course of nonsensical plots for 1/2 hour. They also say funny things in funny voices and break into spontaneous song and dance numbers and/or perform open heart surgery.

What's not to like? It's comic genius.

Though the show was critically well received and probably one of the funniest and innovative shows to ever air on television, it was, tragically, canned after ten episodes. (Note: this is all the more tragic considering the show of unwatchable quality that replaced it in the time slot: Mind of Mencia).

For those of you who would like to watch all ten episodes that were created before the show was pulled, feel free to contact me. For those of you who'd like to get a taste of the style and humor of this troupe of comedians before making such a commitment, I found an assemblage of clips on YouTube that should help you out.

Keep an eye out for Janeane Garofalo, ally of Cornucopia, who makes a cameo as an author at the bookstore in the clip.

Enjoy!

No comments: