Thursday, July 12, 2007

Start Saving Your Cooking Oil Now, Reap the Benefits Later


It started this morning when I read an article in the Des Moines Register about the ecovillage outside of Fairfield. According to the article, the residents of the village harvest sun, wind, and rain for energy and grow grapevines, kiwis, gooseberries, and plums in their yards to eat. At night, everyone holds hands in a circle and lollipops and sugarplums fall from the skies.

More importantly, I discovered that the founder of the ecovillage powers his Mercedes-Benz with massage oil from the spa in Vedic City.

Massage oil. Interesting, I thought. Mistakenly thinking that the oil powering the car had something to do with oil used for massages, I quickly took out some cooking oil, slathered it onto my entire body, and then scraped it directly from my body into a jar to be fed to my automobile.

Boy was my face red and oily when I unintentionally stumbled upon another article about oil powered vehicles. Turns out, it doesn't have to be massage oil after all.

The Economist was nice enough to inform me that McDonalds is going to start powering their entire British fleet with recycled cooking oil from their restaurants. I couldn't find the Economist article online, but here is a brief summary of the story in the International Business Times.

First the Fairfield guy, then the largest fast food chain in the world? It was as if everywhere I turned people were jumping onto the biodiesel bandwagon (the bandwagon itself, were it not a figurative vehicle, would no doubt also be powered by biodiesel).

Twp articles in one day? I see this as a sign. As soon as I buy a fast food franchise or a massage parlor, I'm going to get myself a diesel car and never look back. So long suckers. . .

No comments: