Wednesday, April 2, 2008

My Bracket Was Ruined When Iowa Got a #27 Seed


It seems Iowa just can't catch a break.


First Drake falls due to a last second shot from Western Kentucky.


Then Iowa falls due to an elaborate, yearly calculus using a number of arbitrary factors from the people at U.S. News and World Report.


Apparently, Iowa's ranking in the annual U.S. News publication is going to fall next year from #24 in the nation to #27.


A blogger from the University covers the implications of this rankings slide pretty comprehensively in a couple of posts at a blog called Obscure Minority.


For the record, I'd like to note that I consider myself at least partially responsible for this slide. Specifically, I can recall at least three times the first semester that I missed classes; my understanding of the many provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code was less than complete; and just today I spilled a piece of popcorn on the floor and failed to pick it up.


An institution is only as good as the people traverse its halls. And in this respect, I have failed the University miserably.

No comments: